Creamy Cavatappi pasta with a mushroom & ground turkey tomato sauce. A hearty, tasty, and healthy meal the family will enjoy.
What is Cavatappi?
“Cavatappi is a short S-shaped pasta tube that looks similar to a small corkscrew. Its slender, spiral shape makes it work well with any sauce but pairs especially wonderfully with sauces that include vegetables and lean proteins.”- sharethepasta
The sauce is creamy, coats everything perfectly and has a tiny a kick; perfect to soak up with a piece of buttered toast. Heres what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- olive oil
- Ground turkey
- Bella mushrooms
- Chili powder
- dried oregano
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper
- canned diced tomatoes
- Cavatappi pasta
- white sharp cheddar cheese
Tools needed to make this recipe
Try these dinner recipes next…
- Bbq Turkey Meatballs
- Teriyaki Glazed Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner
- Soy Glazed Pork Bites
- Curried Shepherd’s Pie
- One Pot Ground-Turkey and Potatoes
Creamy Cavatappi with a Mushroom & Turkey Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 12 oz pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup Bella mushrooms, cleaned and scooped thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup broth
- 8-10 oz Cavatappi pasta
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup grated white sharp cheddar cheese (optional, grate more for topping)
- Prep the ingredients according to the list above
- drizzle the oil in a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add in the diced shallots and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the ground turkey, breaking up the meat and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the mushrooms, cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Mix in the chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, black pepper and red pepper, and flour. Cook for 30 seconds , until everything is evenly coated.
- Add in the tomato sauce, broth and stir until combined. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the Cavatappi pasta according to box directions.
- Once the sauce is done simmering and the pasta is done cooking, add the milk and drained pasta noodles to the sauce, combine completely. Add in the grated cheese and stir until melted. Taste, season with salt and pepper if preferred.
- Top with more grated sharp cheddar if desired and enjoy.
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce is fresh, bright and adds a tasty sweetness to Holiday dishes, sandwiches, charcuteries boards and more.
This warming Five Spice Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with green bell peppers is full of flavor, freshness from the bell peppers and makes the perfect dinner option.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is savory, juicy and full of flavor. This chicken breast recipe is a crowd pleaser especially paired with garlic mashed potatoes!