Make your favorite takeout dish at home this weekend with this Pan-Fried Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe. This dish is delicious served with rice and is very easy to make!
The recipe consists of deep fried chicken cut into bite-sized pieces and coated with the sweet and sour sauce that has ketchup, sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder and soy sauce.
Pan-Fried Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
serving size 2-3
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 lb boneless Chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
- 2 Eggs
- Canola Oil for frying
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Optional for garnish: Spring Onion Greens
- In a bowl, mix together the sweet and sour sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper. Whisk 2 eggs together in a bowl and keep set aside.
- Heat about 1/2 inch height of oil to 350 F degree in a deep frying pan.
- Dip the chicken pieces in cornstarch, shake off extra cornstarch. Then evenly coat the chicken in the whisked eggs. Slowly and carefully drop the chicken in BATCHES in the oil and fry until golden brown. (internal degree of chicken should be 165 F.)
- Place the fried chicken pieces on a plate with paper towels to get the excess oil off.
- In a medium size pan over medium high heat, bring the sweet and sour sauce mixture to a boil. Once the sauce has come to a boil, let the sauce thicken for about 5 minutes, stirring the sauce frequently.
- Take the sauce off the heat and evenly coat the fried chicken with the sweet and sour sauce.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and serve with rice.
Need more tasty dinner ideas? Try this Ponzu Glazed Pork Meatball recipe HERE
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce is fresh, bright and adds a tasty sweetness to Holiday dishes, sandwiches, charcuteries boards and more.
This warming Five Spice Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with green bell peppers is full of flavor, freshness from the bell peppers and makes the perfect dinner option.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is savory, juicy and full of flavor. This chicken breast recipe is a crowd pleaser especially paired with garlic mashed potatoes!