This loaded Chickpea Soup is filled with chickpeas, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and is made creamy by blending half the soup. Add a little pasta and you now have the perfect meal!
My vegetarian soup is full of tasty veggies and chickpeas making it a healthy option for lunch and dinner. “Chickpeas are high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats . Chickpeas help manage cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar, and blood pressure; maintain healthy body weight; and support gut health.”-Health.com
This loaded chickpea soup is very easy to make and can be versatile to whatever vegetables you have in the fridge! Healthy vegetables to add in the soup are carrots, potatoes, celery, broccoli, turnips and asparagus.
Loaded Chickpea Soup
Servings 2-3, double if needed
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced to 1/2 “ pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup diced potatoes
- 4 cup vegetable broth or homemade broth
- 1 15-oz cans chickpeas low sodium, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper, more to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup small pasta uncooked (I used spaghetti and broke them into 1 inch pieces)
- Optional: shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the oil and heat. Add the onion, carrots, and potatoes and saute, until the vegetables are soft about 8-10 minutes. Mix in the garlic, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook 30 seconds more.
- Stir in the tomatoes, 4 cups broth, chickpeas, Italian seasoning, and 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Give a good stir and bring the soup to a simmer. Maintain a simmer and cook up to 30 minutes uncovered.
- While the soup simmers, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- (optional but recommended step for a creamier soup) Remove half the cooked soup and put into a blender, let it cool down slightly before blending. Blend until smooth, return to the pot, add the pasta and heat until hot.
- Stir in the spinach and cook 1 minute.
- Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy
Need more tasty vegetarian meals? Try this Greek Inspired Vegetable Wrap, recipe here
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce is fresh, bright and adds a tasty sweetness to Holiday dishes, sandwiches, charcuteries boards and more.
This warming Five Spice Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with green bell peppers is full of flavor, freshness from the bell peppers and makes the perfect dinner option.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is savory, juicy and full of flavor. This chicken breast recipe is a crowd pleaser especially paired with garlic mashed potatoes!