Cheesy Baked Gnocchi with marinara sauce has soft, gnocchi pillows covered in a homemade, flavorful, tomato marinara topped with baked parmesan cheese. Sounds like a good time to me!
*this recipe may contain ads or affiliate links on this site, these ads help support my blog <3
What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi are a type of dumpling-style dish popular in Italian cuisine, which is typically made with eggs, flour, and potatoes. Just like pasta, Gnocchi is super versatile and goes well with tomato and cream based sauces, pesto, or just in butter and parmesan cheese!
Is it easy to make Gnocchi?
Making gnocchi can seem a bit intimidating but it honestly is super easy, a bit time consuming, but very worth it. I’ve been making the gnocchi from Pretty Plain Janes and it has come out perfect each time. All you need is: Kosher salt, 2 large russet potatoes , ¾ cup plus ¼ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting, 1 large egg. Check out the recipe, HERE
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi With Marinara Sauce
serving: 3-4, Time: about 60 minutes
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cup spinach
- 1 lb uncooked gnocchi
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan, plus more for topping
- fresh basil for topping, chopped
Easy Marinara sauce
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Prep the fresh ingredients according to list above.
- For marinara sauce, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sautee for 30 seconds. Mix in the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf. Stir and bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add fresh basil. Transfer marinara to bowl, clean out pan and set aside(remove bay leaf).
- While the sauce cooks, Preheat oven to 400F. Heat another skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey to the skillet, cook for 7-10 minutes, until browned. Add the salt, pepper, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning into the skillet. Mix and cook for 30 seconds. Place the spinach in the skillet and toss to combine with the turkey. Sautee until wilted. Turn off heat
- Pour the homemade marinara sauce and shredded cheddar cheese in the skillet. Mix in the gnocchi (carefully mix in if using freshly made gnocchi). Pour the mixture into an oven safe skillet, casserole dish or cast iron. Cover the top with the shredded Parmesan.
- Place skillet on middle top rack in oven and bake at 400F for 15 minutes (optional, broil for a few minutes after to brown further, be careful not to burn). Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, and serve with fresh basil.
Do you love pasta recipes? Try this Tomato Creamy Chicken Rigatno recipe!
Easy Kung Pao noodle stir fry using Panda Express Kung Pao Sauce, ground meat, vegetables and noodles!
These honey mustard chicken thighs are sweet, savory and juicy. The ingredients are simple, but you will end up with delicious chicken for dinner!
Our honey garlic carrots are so delicious and incredibly easy to make. Oven Roasted carrots prepared with a sweet, honey garlic butter glaze. One of my favorite ways to make carrots!