If you’re in the mood for something savory and cozy, I know you’re going to enjoy this creamy potato soup as much as I do. Savory, creamy, and loaded with bacon, green onions, and cheese. My secret ingredient is cream cheese! It adds a terrific creamy texture making it the perfect comfort food.
Like how most great recipes are created, I had a crazy amount of potatoes and I needed to create something delicious before they went bad. I decided to combine a few slow cooker chowder recipes, thus creating the best Loaded Cheesy Potato Chowder I have ever made!
Crockpot Potato Chowder Recipe
- 2 lb golden potatoes (about 8 medium), diced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 8oz package of cream cheese
- 1 cups shredded cheddar (save some for topping the soup)
- 2 green onions sliced
*** tip: if you have an celery and/or carrots in the fridge, add it to the soup! It will be delicious
- Place potatoes, broth, onion, salt, garlic, parsley, thyme and pepper into a 3-6 quart crockpot.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours (until the vegetables are tender).
- Meanwhile, lay the bacon out flat on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until it reaches desired crispiness. Let the bacon rest on paper towels before chopping into pieces.
- 30 minutes before the soup is done, Add 8 oz (1 package) of softened cream cheese. Cook for last 30 minutes and stir now and then until combined. Use a Potato Masher to slightly mash up potatoes if needed.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese, and most of the cooked, chopped bacon (reserving some for topping).
- Serve soup and top with remaining cheese, remaining bacon and green onions.
Do you love soups? Checkout this very easy Miso Ramen soup concentrate recipe, here
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce is fresh, bright and adds a tasty sweetness to Holiday dishes, sandwiches, charcuteries boards and more.
This warming Five Spice Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with green bell peppers is full of flavor, freshness from the bell peppers and makes the perfect dinner option.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is savory, juicy and full of flavor. This chicken breast recipe is a crowd pleaser especially paired with garlic mashed potatoes!