A classic Vanilla Crème Brûlée using half & half, topped with a crunchy caramelized sugar. This is one of my favorite dessert recipes ever and you only need 5 ingredients!
Tools you’ll need
You may be asking yourself, why use half and half? Well its healthier than using full fat cream. And one day I had a bunch of half and half about to expire; so I decided to substitute the heavy cream with half and half in a creme brûlée recipe and it turned out DELICIOUS. I now always have half and half in my fridge just in case I need dessert. 😋 I love to add a dollop of strawberry compote on top, it is heavenly! Here is my 3 ingredient strawberry compote recipe, here!
Vanilla Crème Brûlée Using Half & Half
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more for topping
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a saucepan, combine cream, vanilla extract and salt and cook over low heat just until hot (don’t let it boil). Once hot, let it cool off heat for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, beat yolks and sugar together until mixed. Stir in the cream mixture until completely mixed. Pour the mixture in the ramekins. Place 4 ramekins in a baking dish.
- Fill the baking dish with boiling water halfway up the sides of the ramekin’s. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until centers are barely set. Cool completely. Refrigerate for several hours and up to a couple of days.
- When ready to serve, top each custard with about a spoonful of sugar in a thin layer. Using a culinary torch, carefully torch the top of each, caramelizing the sugar to create a crunchy beautiful amber layer. Let them cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
Try these next..
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce is fresh, bright and adds a tasty sweetness to Holiday dishes, sandwiches, charcuteries boards and more.
This warming Five Spice Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with green bell peppers is full of flavor, freshness from the bell peppers and makes the perfect dinner option.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is savory, juicy and full of flavor. This chicken breast recipe is a crowd pleaser especially paired with garlic mashed potatoes!