My Copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich includes crispy buttermilk marinated chicken that is perfectly fried and sandwiched between two slightly toasted brioche buns. You definitely cannot forget the crunchy pickles and nice big spread of homemade spicy mayo.
*This post may contain affiliate links of products that have helped me make delicious meals!
I am a HUGE fan of the Popeyes chicken sandwich so I knew I needed to make a copycat recipe. This homemade version is even better than the original!
Copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Serving size: 3-4 , double recipe if needed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tsp sriracha (or any hot sauce)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Cajun or taco seasoning
- 4 brioche buns
- Sliced pickles
- 3-4 cups canola oil for frying
To Marinate Chicken
- Pound the chicken between two pieces of parchment paper. Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise to make 2 small pieces
- of chicken about the same size as the bun (you should have 4 pieces total after) .
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken to the mix and place in the fridge to marinate up to 24 hours or to use right away.
Cooking The Chicken
- Heat oil on a large heavy-duty pot on medium heat until the temperature reaches 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the breading ingredients. Add 3 tablespoons of the buttermilk batter into the flour mixture and mix it thoroughly. Starting with 1 piece at a time, dredge the chicken into the flour mixture, pressing the flour on the top chicken to form a nice crust. Transfer the chicken to the hot oil and fry for 5 minutes per side or until the outside is crispy and golden.
Note: When frying the chicken the internal temperature should reach 165F.
- Toast buns face down on a slightly buttered skillet until golden and crisp. Combine all the ingredients for the mayo in a small bowl.
- Spread a nice layer of spicy mayo on each bun. Top with pickles and chicken. Voila!!
Need a delicious fry seasoning to go with this chicken sandwich? Check out my Copycat Wingstop fry seasoning recipe!