The Best Shepherd’s Pie is filled with ground turkey, sautéed vegetables in a rich sauce, topped with cheesy mashed potatoes, and baked…doesn’t get better than that! Here is an tasty twist on an old classic…
What is Shepards Pie?
Shepards Pie is a ground meat pie cooked in a gravy or sauce with a topping of mashed potato. Normally it is served with ground red meat or lamb but I like to use ground turkey.
This recipe is super easy it is to make and it always turns out so good! I add an asian twist with the sauce incorporating hoisin and soy sauce—honestly I think thats what makes this recipe insanely delicious.
Ground Turkey Shepard’s Pie
Serving size 3-4 people
- 8-10 oz ground Turkey
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 long carrots, peeled chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup broccoli cut to smaller pieces
- 4-5 gold Idaho Potatoes peel and diced to 1/2 inch pieces (soak in water to clean beforehand)
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 Tbsp cream cheese (can substitute with milk or sour cream)
- Salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese for topping(sharp cheddar is a delicious substitute)
- Chives &/or green onions chopped for topping (optional)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup homemade broth or water
- 1 1/2 tsp hoisin
- 3 tsp soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tsp sriracha (optional but recommended)
- Preheat oven to broil, adjust rack to middle. Clean all the vegetables and prep accordingly (prep instructions in ingredients list)
- In a medium pot, place the cut potatoes with a big pinch of salt and cover completely with water. Heat the pan on medium high and bring to a boil. Cover leaving a crack open and cook for 15 minutes, drain and return potatoes back to pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a tablespoon of oil on a large saucepan on medium high heat. Cook the ground turkey for 6-8 minutes until browned, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil on the same pan and sauté the onions, carrots and broccoli for 5 minutes on medium heat, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ground Turkey back to the pan.
- While the vegetables are cooking, mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the sauce to your vegetable/meat mixture and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes. Take the pan off heat and add 1 Tbsp of butter. Mix together until the butter is completely combined.
- Once your potatoes are tender, add 1 Tbsp of butter and 1 Tbsp of cream cheese. Mash up your potatoes using a potato masher. Season your potatoes with salt and pepper and taste.
- Add your meat/veggie mixture to a 12 inch cast iron skillet or an oven safe pie pan. Using a spoon or spatula, add your mashed potatoes to the top of the meat/veggie mixture spreading evenly and to the edges. Add some cheese to the top and broil for 6-8 minutes, until the cheese is nicely browned(be careful not to burn to cheese). Sprinkle with chopped chives and enjoy
Do you like easy dinner recipes? Try this Soy-Glazed ground Turkey Meatloaf recipe
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce is fresh, bright and adds a tasty sweetness to Holiday dishes, sandwiches, charcuteries boards and more.
This warming Five Spice Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with green bell peppers is full of flavor, freshness from the bell peppers and makes the perfect dinner option.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is savory, juicy and full of flavor. This chicken breast recipe is a crowd pleaser especially paired with garlic mashed potatoes!