My ground turkey enchiladas recipe is made with a red enchilada sauce, green chilies and shallots, tons of flavors and a bunch of melted cheese!
This enchilada recipe is very easy and super versatile. I love adding potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, etc. to spice things up. If you don’t have ground turkey, Feel free to save some time and use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken!
Tools you’ll need for this recipe
Ground Turkey Enchiladas with Red Sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups broth
- 1 (28 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 (15 oz ) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced Black olives
- 7-8 medium flour tortillas
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar and pepper jack)
- optional toppings: fresh cilantro, chopped red onions, diced avocado, sour cream, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. adjust oven rack to middle top
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk the flour together and allow to bubble for 1 minute. Pour in the red sauce, broth, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp of both salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring every once in awhile, until sauce has thickened.
- In another large sauce pan, heat 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced shallots and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ground turkey, chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, paprika, oregano, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked. Mix in the garlic and diced green chilies and saute 30 seconds. Stir in the beans and olives and mix until evenly combined. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- To assemble evenly spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Lay out a tortilla on a plate and spread 1-2 tablespoons of sauce over the tortilla. Put a generous spoonful of the ground turkey mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla, then sprinkle with cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in baking dish (seam side down). Assemble the rest of the enchiladas. Then spread any remaining sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas, followed by any extra cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, until the enchiladas are cooked through and the tortillas are slightly crispy on the outside. Enjoy with your favorite toppings!
If yo love a ground turkey recipe, check out this mango ground turkey fajitas
Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce is fresh, bright and adds a tasty sweetness to Holiday dishes, sandwiches, charcuteries boards and more.
This warming Five Spice Ground Turkey Stir-Fry with green bell peppers is full of flavor, freshness from the bell peppers and makes the perfect dinner option.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken is savory, juicy and full of flavor. This chicken breast recipe is a crowd pleaser especially paired with garlic mashed potatoes!